View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:14 pm 

A rundown of our sorties:
Muzz, Yukone, Grmpy and Splt
First sortie; Grmpy and I were in P47's with Muzz and Yukone in Spits.
We climbed off dar for quite awhile until we thought it prudent to break their dar
and drawn the enemy our way. Wasn't sure it would work but the Germans sent 10+ airframes to
us. First there were 4, with others piling on over the next 10 minutes or so. I think they thought the bombers were nearby. We managed to keep them busy one way or the other for at least 20 minutes with grumpy and I having to disengage and run away while muzz and Yukon kept harassing them even when the tried to disengage to head for our bombers. 5 actually chased grmpy and I for a full sector away from the buffs South. Muzz and yukone found to the bombers before their drop and grmpy and I found the lone B17 of WB after his last drop. We helped clear his 6 a few times otw home. No losses with one confirmed kill, wtg Muzz.
Second sortie: Grmpy and I in B-24's and muzz/yukone in heavy hurries (I believe) looking for submarines. Not sure if it was muzz our yukone but German destroyers were found. Got a good line up, but being inexperienced at bombing moving ships I managed to sink one and get a thousand pounder on another. Grmpy got an ack based engine fire had to hurriedly drop and dive. 3 of us made it back. I think it was yukone that had an airframe failure and lost a wing on this sortie.

Fun frame
<S>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 am 

As it turned out, I bounced redsgt in his 109 and destroyed his engine. I thought I had a pkill, but he dove out, extinguished the fire and somehow ditched successfully with a fuel leak. A bit later Yukone was credited with a kill on prime-, although it wasn't as explosive event as my attack on redsgt.
Re-upping in Hurris, I had a autopilot malfunction. After a fast dive to NOE and a moments inattention I engaged the autopilot and the airplane started flopping all over the place. I lost a wing with no time for a successful bail.

Nice write up, splt! Entertaining flying with you and the Grumpster.
<S>

Muzz
muzz--
Sqn Ldr
past-CO 417 Sqn RCAF
"Supporting Liberty and Justice"
--------------------------------------
Muzz's Maps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 am 

Sorry about being fuzzy on some of the details. I had trouble keeping the voices straight... fog of war and all ;)

Muzz wrote:
Entertaining flying with you and the Grumpster.
<S>

Hehe, we try to have fun and yet be serious about it. Being brothers helps, usually!
Was a pleasure flying with Yukone and you as well sir, well done Sunday nite!

<S>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 am 

Thanks gents. Your actions most likely saved the Memphis Belle. The 4th did what we could to fend off attackers but we were slowly getting overwhelmed ....By dragging that many fighters away, it gave us a fighting chance. In the end WB was the only one to make it out of there.

Salute!

NOOKYB 4th FG
4th But First!

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]