Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Frame 2 CO AAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 am 

We all did the best we could with my not so perfect plan from what I can tell. Robert posted a synopsis and good relevant comments on the frame. I don’t need to rehash what transpired in frame 2.
I will post some of my thoughts though.

An unknown number of bomber pilots limits the initial planning. Fighter pilots that fly bombers only get one life in a bomber then they gotta fly a fighter, so you will lose them once they die. Others could change from fighters to bombers for the second sortie if they so desired ; )

Bomb damage was not as advertised last frame. I tested it Friday night, and Saturday night with the same results ie… minimum of 4 direct hits or 2 or 3 hits with added blast effects from nearby bombs. Over double what it should have been as listed in the published damage/point files. Prior to the frame I was informed the damage file was the proper one, which I assumed had changed from Sat. night. Shouldn’t have assumed that.

Last night I ran one sortie and the bombs DID work properly with 2 direct hits taking down a factory target. I will test again tonight or Friday night once again to be sure. I’ll report back when I do, but it now appears that targets will go down with 2 direct hits. Wish rebuild was set to 10 minutes once again for testing.

Buff Tuff of 1 is not reflecting the historical survivability of the B17 from my perspective, I know this is an ongoing discussion. Tight formations are a necessity. Various bomber pilots/squads trying to fly real tight is super tough. I personally set my wingees to dropping formation way too early and they didn’t provide much cover when the Axis showed. Lesson learned, mentioned for others that don’t bomb much in an S3.

I don’t know what happened with ai bombers turning away. I believe if the ai has damaged parts/fuel/oil etc that the ai may turn and do its own thing. It happens in the main with one ai I’ve seen. Maybe the others down the line from it follow the damaged one? I can’t believe a bomber pilot sent them away.

We can’t afford to put very many fighters on a sweep, most all need to stay within a few miles of the bombers.
Going deep, altitude is our friend, but there isn’t lots of altitude to get.

Radar is the Axis’ friend. They know the exact picture, essentially everywhere. Any Allied group not with the buffs can be vectored around by the Axis.

Jabo mentioned HO attacks, but I didn’t see any. There probably were some but at least 4 of our buffs went down with no HO. One high speed pass and explode, or one run up the 6 with otto not inflicting any damage.

Robert touched on other subjects that needed brought up.

Thanks to all for your efforts.
<S>

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ]