New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: 4th FG not only one
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 am 

Salute!

I sure hope we can get the 4th FG Association to see the impact that the "Allied" only tradition has upon our S3. I fully realize it prevents the 23rd and 352nd from being on the same side for the ETO scenarios. Would seem in the non-historical 4th theater of operations scenarios, flying IJN would be O.K., but that's the 4th's call, both of them.

Be advised that years ago the 450th Cottontails could not retain their virtual identity using the 450th moniker. The real world group must not have liked the whole deal, so we then had the 550th Tigertails for awhile. Seems Samart went to a convention or reunion to work with them, but no dice.

In the early years, Doc9 and Raptor worked with the 305th BG and no problems. I also think Daddy worked with the 31st FG in the same way.

As much as I would like to see "balance", seems it's still to the 4th outfits, huh?

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Post subject: Re: 4th FG
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm 

Wow! Lots of crazy reads here. I can say 23rd or myself has never believed there was special treatment to the 4th because of Bill. To be honest we hear the same type of shit because we have so many trainers and CMs. Brush it off and dont let Bill leave stick to flying with your friends, that is what this about for us. All COs have posted for it to be so let it. As for the rotation it does get old and at one point I stood on the same principles as you Pappy, but eventually had to fall into play. If your squad doesn't want to do it, then DON'T!!! I have my own squadron to try and keep in WB which lately is not that easy. Headaches, angers, and stupid PC is what makes 23rd pilots want to leave. And fighting the 352nd every frame does tend to piss people off and I can't speak for the 352nd but I'm sure they feel the same after a frame where we may get the best of them. You have your GCI call out the size of a group and you know its either 352 or 23 and you tell them straps tight its going to be a fight and which ever squad has the better ride will win. So stay Allied the whole time do what you guys do. It's your squadron, I don't agree with you not going into the rotation but it isn't a show stopper and 23rd will always be there to either help get kills or kill you! <S>

Commanding Officer
23rd Fighter Group

Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 am 

There definitely seems to be SOME imbalance in the S3 but probably more related to relative squad strength
There isn't 15 x squads each with 10 guys, each flying a mission from a different airfield.

Doesn't leave much option for balancing sides.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm 

I saw Wild Bill in-game last night as a member of the 4th. I hope that the issue with him leaving the 4th has been resolved and he will remain part of the virtual 4th FG?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm 

Todzilla wrote:
I saw Wild Bill in-game last night as a member of the 4th. I hope that the issue with him leaving the 4th has been resolved and he will remain part of the virtual 4th FG?

I agree.

Oberst Briar

JG51 XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm 

Salute!

Actually, WLDBIL flew with the Nomads.

He called me Sunday afternoon. Got our DTF and a tgt pic, then joined our TS and done good.

So I guess he's on a rotation. Good thing, IMHO.

Gums sends....

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am 

Gums wrote:
Salute!

Actually, WLDBIL flew with the Nomads.

He called me Sunday afternoon. Got our DTF and a tgt pic, then joined our TS and done good.

So I guess he's on a rotation. Good thing, IMHO.

Gums sends....

I have no problem with him being on rotation, but my hope is that he remains as part of the 4th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 pm 

For the record, we have never thought because Wild Bill was in the 4th, they got special treatment. I know understand and thank you for making it clear why the 4th doesn't change sides. I do respect that and agree with them. Todd, your post was spot on and hope this subject gets sentled before it starts affecting the S3s.

Our biggest complaint is the unblance of sides due to squadrons having a large group. I have the upmost respect for the 4th and 352nd in the S3s and work well with both of them. I hope this gets buried soon with little impact to the game.

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:34 pm 

The S3 might function better if all fighter / strike squads were limited to 2 steps max.

You could also impose basing restriction of max 2 steps of fighters at any field (other then GAF which remains 1 step).

DEDICATED bomber squads perhaps limited to 3 steps max and keep with the usual basing restrictions (max 4 steps at an LAF)

Obviously some would resist heavily with good reason.
The counter argument is that smaller squads should recruit more of course.
The reality is that this isn't too likely to change.

Just thoughts to consider anyhow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 am 

bollok wrote:
The S3 might function better if all fighter / strike squads were limited to 2 steps max.

Which of our guys do you propose we cut? From the 4th? The 23rd?

I understand where you're at with this. It was extremely frustrating when we were a 1/1.5 step squad going up against the 4-step 31st FG back in the day. We made it a goal to recruit so that we were on an even basis with them #'s-wise and made a strong effort to recruit guys in order to do so. We accomplished that goal ever since have had a strongly enforced policy of no additional recruiting. We've done that for well over a year now, I think adding a single new recruit in the last three years.. I've also have made attempts to refer new recruits to other groups within the game.

It would help that once groups reached a point - the cat is already out of the bag with two steps - of three or four steps that they voluntarily STOP RECRUITING and start referring newbies to other groups.

Two steps and you are too close to losing critical mass if you lose a few pilots. My personal experience is that 3/3.5 is the sweet spot. More than that and it becomes a nightmare managing them all. Many less than that and you're on the razor's edge of losing momentum if you lose a few at once.

I know some feel like that S3's are losing steam. Maybe they are. However, the most pilots I ever remember in a single frame is ~150. Last frame we had 130. Down some but not as bad as some are making it out to be. There have been a lot of new names in the Main Arena the last few times I've been on. Tell them about the S3's and get them to come onboard.

<S>

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next