Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:32 pm 

jabo wrote:
I found going from XP to Windows 7 meant I needed more RAM to do the same things.
go figure

Win XP 32 bit, will only utilize just over 2GB memory. Win 7 32, bit will utilize just over 3GB. If you have 4GB of RAM that's about as good as you can get with either. The exception would be if you are using a video card that utilizes, (shares), system memory from your pc. Other than that, you need to run a 64 bit version of Windows if you want to benefit from more than 4GB RAM.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:50 pm 

I was able to run Warbirds last night... Yea!!!!! I still need to tweak my video settings and cant remember some of the setting I made on the video card. Still, I plan on getting more memory when I can squeak some cash out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

<S>

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:51 pm 

Gratz Hawk, but I was secretly hoping it would take you 2 weeks to figure out :D

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:02 pm 

:lol: No I need to do some tweaking buddy!

<S>

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:16 am 

-dazed wrote:
jabo wrote:
I found going from XP to Windows 7 meant I needed more RAM to do the same things.
go figure

Win XP 32 bit, will only utilize just over 2GB memory. Win 7 32, bit will utilize just over 3GB. If you have 4GB of RAM that's about as good as you can get with either. The exception would be if you are using a video card that utilizes, (shares), system memory from your pc. Other than that, you need to run a 64 bit version of Windows if you want to benefit from more than 4GB RAM.

Not entirely accurate. 32-bit XP supports up to 4GB but how much is actually visible to the OS can vary by system depending on numerous factors including shared video RAM as you state. Real world #'s (with 4GB installed) range from 2.5GB to 3.5GB, with the most common value being 3.25 GB in my experience. 32-bit XP does support a max of 2GB per process which is irrelevant to Warbirds. There is also an issue with SoundBlaster drivers having issues with more than 2GB on XP 32-bit, so in practice for a gaming rig run XP 32-bit you're better off with 2GB only.

There is only one reason to still run Windows XP: if you have a gameport controller connected to your system. Microsoft dropped gameport (midiport) support starting with Vista, so if you have an original Microsoft Force Feedback Pro like I do then you're stuck with XP.

Otherwise, given that Microsoft recently dropped support (no more security updates) for XP there is no reason to stay on XP and numerous very good reasons to move off of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 am 

Hawk wrote:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/23/2014, 21:53:07
Machine name: JIM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.130318-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Hawk,
As stated, if you want to add more RAM to that box you'll need to reinstall the 64-bit version of Windows. That will mean reinstalling all applications as well. Unfortunately there is no other way around this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 am 

After looking at your system specs again, I would be surprised if your system can accept more than 4GB anyway. Be sure to verify that prior to buying more memory:

http://www.crucial.com/

Choose System Scanner/Scan My Computer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:52 am 

And even further looking, your processor doesn't even support 64-bit:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27503/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2