Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Webpage idea
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:12 am 

Hi guys, I've done a lot of plane-testing and am thinking about making a webpage (in the spirit of muzzmaps and Phenix 100th flight model testing site), at which you can choose 2 planes to compare their characteristics. I've never ever done a webpage but I guess I can learn, + it's not to be very complicated and I can add cool backgrounds etc later.

Just wondering if you guys think it's a good idea + have any ideas of your own? This could be a good way to check rides before an S3, or helpful for especially newbies but also experienced pilots. Several statistics can be proven, i.e. top speeds at alt, fuel range + gun loadout etc, while some characteristics are subjective, i.e. turn rate, agility, cockpit visibility etc, and any input by skilled and experienced pilots on my ratings would be most appreciated if this page goes live.

This is a VERY beta sketch I just made in a few minutes in MS Paint :P

Post subject: Re: Webpage idea
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:19 pm 

Would definitely be useful for me!

This is what I've found so far:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/warbirds_aircraft.htm
http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:36 pm 

Wow..your girlfriend should leave you alone more often. I like it. :)

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 pm 

Quote:
Wow..your girlfriend should leave you alone more often. I like it

LOL :lol:

coolon
4th Fighter Group

formerly: -=Night Stalkers=- | 44th FS Vampires | Widowmakers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:25 pm 

It would be interesting to know "how much" each dot is "worth". I find that endurance in minutes at any given fuel divisor is a handy number to have. Remember before publishing that our hard-working CM volunteers will soon be working over the fighter FMs which may or may not effect your values.

Happy trails...
Wolf
XO 352nd Fighter Group (virtual)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm 

dewolf wrote:
It would be interesting to know "how much" each dot is "worth". I find that endurance in minutes at any given fuel divisor is a handy number to have. Remember before publishing that our hard-working CM volunteers will soon be working over the fighter FMs which may or may not effect your values.

My thoughts exactly. Mainly the bottom white dot section. The P51 has .50's the Spit has cannons. That can make quite a difference. Maybe throw a blurb in your index page at the bottom telling how you got each dot. May I also suggest structural airspeed limits?

Thank you and I would be willing to help gather any extra info you needed if that helps!

<S> bckroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:03 am 

Looks good, but I would add another speed zone 0-10K, 10-20K, then 20K+

CO Beaver
RCAF 417 (II/Wing 127)
City of Windsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 am 

Thanks for all input, it does seem like I get more creative warbirds wise when left alone hehe.

Until the new models are out I will base most speeds, fuel time etc from phenix flight model testing site, altough I know some models are outdated there, and test myself for planes not listed. Once all new FMs are released I will gladly do all new testings myself, unless there's already data to read :).

I thought about having the compare page quite clean and easy to make a judgement by a glance. For more detailed info maybe have a button to switch between stars and detailed info like exact speeds att all 5k alt intervals etc. Or maybe a function that pops up a window with exact data when you mouse-over the stars.

P.S. I appreciate all critique :D

P.P.S. Anyone got pro tips of how to get started making a webpage?

Here's how I was thinking of basing the stars so far:

As with all stars, I check highest, lowest, average speed scores etc for all planes and then make intervalls which decide how many stars a plane gets. A plane with no WEP is deducted half a star from it's speed score.

Speed 20k+: As the speed at 25k can be important I take it into account, but I think stratosphere speed is even more important, especially in S3s as the one who can fly the highest at speed will have the initiative.
Example: P-40E speeds: 30k = 225mph, 25k = 320mph.
Formula I use: (2x30k + 25k) / 3. This makes 30k speed twice as factoring.
P-40E: (2x225 + 320) / 3 = 257 , a quite low high alt speed score as the p40s are almost useless at 30k.)
A6M2: (2x325 + 338) / 3 = 329, a significantly better high alt score altough almost same speed at 25k)

Speed below 20k: I rank speed at 5k as more important than speed at say 15k. This is because most fights eventually end up at the deck and when you try to outrun/chase a con, it more often than not end up as a race at ground level.
Formula: (2x5k + 10k + 15k + 20k) / 5, as this puts a bit more emphasis on 5k speeds.

Firepower: I simply add up stars for all guns. 6x.50cals = 4 stars, 4x.50cals = 3 stars, 2x7,9mm = half a star, 4x.303cals = 1 star, 2x20mm = 2,5 stars etc.

Flat turn rate: Based on testing of every plane, turning consistent 360 degree laps at 30min fuel, clocking each lap and counting the average. I will ofc take into account engine power as a low power engined plane, like the A6M is a much better turner with some alt to spend than on the deck.

Agility: Will base this on roll rate, how good you can lag roll without stalling, flaps deployment and energy-preservance, like the nintendo LA5FN + ki61 that can climb, turn etc without losing much E. I would appreciate a lot of input on this once I publish my conclusions, as they are very subjective.

Cockpit visibility: a good 6 view is most important here, also taking into account the amount of metal around the cockpit, and if the 3d cockpit makes the metal obstruct most of your screen, like the bf109K + C202 models.

As with all others, fuel time in minutes, ammo load etc, I will compare all planes and make a star system based on max, min, average etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 pm 

II./JG 77 used http://www.weebly.com to get started. Very easy UI, basically you drag and drop the type of content you want on to a template, presto websito. I believe it is around $40 though to unlock special features like data hosting, custom templates (website coding knowledge required) and owning your own domain. It was an easy solution for us as no one really had vast experience in website design and coding. If you would like some graphical help let me know.

http://www.fly-jg77.com

<S>
Zinhwk

HADES Flight
475th FG (v)
zinhwk@fly-jg77.com

Windows 10.1
AMD A10 6800K Black Edition (OC 4.2Ghz)
16 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 770Ti
1TB SATA Western Digital "Blue" HDD
24" LG LED 1080p