Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: WWII Arena
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 am 

Some of the 4th and some of the 352nd flew in the WWII arena tonight. We had a blast.
Use this forum to post your suggestions for the WWII setup.
Here are mine:

Password protected with the ability to change the password as the Group CO's see fit.
Squads only. Guests may fly with a squad, but not rogue. "You fly in a squad or you fly in the Main."
Initially, mirror the S3 as much as is possible.
No kill shooter.
No aircraft Dar, GCI only.
Reduced ground vehicles usage unless CO's request them.
All squads will rotate axis and ally sides.
CO's will correct inappropriate buffer banter within their squad. If the banter continues a moderator will ban the user from the arena for 24 hours, but they will be given one chance to stop.
The Main should be for new players to fly against each other and not be slaughtered by veteran pilots. (see bombr suggestion below)

OK, other than my previous suggestions. I still think the key to doing what we need is to have ient program the areas so that only newbies (2,1 Lt) and trainers are allowed in Main. Capt and above can use all other areas. S3 no rank restriction. WWII should be set up to mirror the S3. A 2nd 'other' arena can be set up with easier settings for those of higher rank that want to game rather than sim.
~bombr-~

These are just a few suggestions off the top of my head. Some may be reasonable, some may not. CO's add your suggestions here and at the end of the week I will submit a consensus letter to Wldbil.
I just think the dedicated squads deserve a squad only arena that is more challenging than the Main. It would not be fair to the new players, or the gamers if we made the Main more difficult. Nobody uses WWII, so I do not see why squads shouldn't take it over and use it. <S>

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

Post subject: Re: WWII Arena
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 pm 

Quote:
I still think the key to doing what we need is to have ient program the areas so that only newbies (2,1 Lt) and trainers are allowed in Main. Capt and above can use all other areas.

Without totally understanding everything this is what jumped out at me.

I've flown warbirds since well before version 1.11 I flew long before there was a "rank" system. I pay absolutely no attention to the "rankings" and points... I don't fly because of points and so my rank is only 1st LT

I dont spend hours and hours in game and the sheer number of points needed to rank is ridiculous, guess that means I'm still a newbie or perhaps I just fly like one...

A negative thought:
Your plans at first glance look as if they are exclusionary. Is there some way a pilot could wander in there and get involved without knowing the password? can they still type on an open channel to see how to join in with one side?

A positive thought:
In my opinion, people go where they know what to expect and where there are other people. They stay because it's fun and also because of the camaraderie built flying with the same people. At times I see name calling, malicious taunting and complaining which gives me a very negative impression and I would assume new people too.... So I applaud your efforts to put a stop to that type of behavior and to attempt to lift the level of play of everyone participating.

coolon
4th Fighter Group

formerly: -=Night Stalkers=- | 44th FS Vampires | Widowmakers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 pm 

I hope this plan works! Kudos to Kelly and you others who are trying to make it happen.

I don't like the idea of PW protecting this if it going to exclude others from attempting to join in.
I feel the WW2 arena should be used to try and introduce newer players to a more realistic experience than the Main.
If they are able to enter the arena and are then told they have to join a squad, it might be more productive than
finding the arena locked. Moderators can boot them if they don't want to follow the rules.

BTW, I joined WB in 1995 and I'm still a 1st Lt.... I don't feel like a newbie ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:12 pm 

I been flying Warbirds since 2010 I'm still a 1st Lt. I don't fly in the main anymore.....mostly do to my scheduled, but also the negativity that accompanies it. I like the idea of starting up the WW2 arena, but don't restrict entrance based on rank.

352nd Fighter Group (V) - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"
328th Fighter Squadron (V) -PE- Red and Green

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:14 pm 

Leave the main like it is...everyone is free to use it.

Make the unused WWII arena just what you suggested.

In addition:
Each Squad will need someone to have basic permissions in that arena (trainer or CM if they have one, CO or designated Rep if CO doesn't fly enough to warrant having them).
Should be able to enable/disable field use.
Should be able to enable/disable plane use.
Should be able to "remove" someone from the arena if they are not "conforming to the rules" and they don't have a CO to prohibit such behavior.

Everything else needs to be in the hands of CM's to prevent screwing things up from inexperience.

Squads need to be open to guests who may want to try it.

Break Break

Last night was fun...fun in the sense of good fun. No bitching, whining, accusations of cheating....nothing that was negative.
No distance icons made it challenging, had to look out the window. Inflight Dar needs to be either reduced further in display time or killed completely. Maybe we just need to make sure everyone knows the fight will be between xx and xx.

Good times!

Dobs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 pm 

The intent of squad requirement is the understanding that a squad, or at least any self-respecting squad, will self-police the actions of its members.

Yes moderators can kick...but should be last resort.

Everyone will have an arena to play in, this one will be like the S3...squad membership or guest of squad to get in. Sponsorship required, so in this I agree with the password.

Dobs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:53 pm 

What time was most of the action last night?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm 

=dobs= wrote:
... Inflight Dar needs to be either reduced further in display time or killed completely. ...

I would love to see in flight dar turned off completely.

Poog - the "meeting" was a fairly informal thing that started around 8:00 pm eastern time (USA), but it wasn't until around 9:00 - 9:30 that it really got going. As more 4th FG pilots started showing up, the folks who were still mulling over ideas moved to the 4th FG Training Channel on TS so that the 4th men could communicate with wingmen and such while in combat.

Very nice to see so many members of various squadrons dropping by to discuss WWII arena ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:33 pm 

If this works out someone should tell Woebrd - this was his favorite kind of flying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:02 pm 

Can someone please elaborate on the style of gameplay present in the WWII arena?
As I understand it, S3 settings mean: each side has a specific ride and specific targets but can you re-spawn when you're killed?

I believe this is closer to what my goals are in WBs rather than the gameplay in the main...

Thank you!
<S>

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 >> Next