Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm 

During the last series a couple of things came up that I would hope to get clarification on.
First was the issue of allowing anyone trapped on CV that sinking to teleport. I would think the main goal of sinking a CV would be to deny the use of it. If it is just for the points, I just don’t understand why the enemy would waste time attacking a CV which has many DDs an often an aggressive Cap to help knock them down, when instead they could go after static shipping which has little defensive fire.

Next item. Rebasing during frame. During frame 5 :
A.The
352 W 3 steps
AEs W 1 step
Based on the two CV Gp which has a total step availability of 4.
B. The
DRs 3 steps
NS 1 step
Nomads 1 step
All based on land bases.
Our orders were to launch from our land base and to destroy the CV Gp. And then land on the CVs while the 352nd and AEs would land on the land bases.
The strike Gp after hitting the enemy CVs landed on the CVs as ordered and after that the 352 & AEs were advised the CV was clear to use as all strike members had landed.
Due to miscommunication I assume, the 352 and AE continued to land at the land bases.
Now Questions:
1. A total of 5 steps landed on the CV- is that not overstepping?
2. Does overstepping only occur when a Step is physically at that base, be it land or CV? That being, if all members of X sq assigned to base Y are up and flying the field is open?

3. Now based on the rules:
Squad Basing - each airfield has a limited amount of squad steps as well as types it may base during a frame. Squads may move to a new airfield only if there are enough steps and types available to move there during play. Larger squads may have to base at two or more airfields during play. Squads that sign-off for the night free up their base to be used by other squads.If answer to # 2 is yes I then ask. During each series each side will have a base that has distinct advantages over the others but due to Step restrictions only so many can use. Well, based on what was allowed in frame 5 why could you not just roll each squad from that base as well as land if you knew the field was either empty or only members of your Sq were there?
Based on the rules “Squads may move to a new airfield only if there are enough steps and types available to move there during play”
Again I ask when would the steps be available.
The rules as I read:” Squads that sign-off for the night free up their base to be used by other squads” However we landed on CV before the 352 and AEs logged I think.
I bring these items up just for clarification and not to stir the pot. I also know the last item of series rules reads:
S3 Clarifications - the S3 staff reserves the right to make a ruling on questions or game situations not answered completely or missed by the rules. For further clarification please post on the S3 forum or email Jabo.
Let me also say, this was one of the most action packed series I’ve had the privilege to fly in. Even with all my discos, and pilot error crashes-- it was fun. Thanks to Wildbill, Jabo, frame COs and all the others that make it happen.
Hope to see more like it—well less the dicos and crashes.

Salute,
Gofly
AG-8-Doolittle Raiders
Member, Nomads
WBs 2004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 am 

Gofly...........any plane can land at any field (or CV) no matter how many steps are assigned there as long as that plane NO LONGER FLIES for that frame. The strike group knew this was 99% chance a single mission for the night. The initial orders called for the possible relocation of the fighters at the CVs IF the enemy was ignoring the CV and hitting the Slot static shipping hard. IF... that was the case then the CV fighters could have moved to the land bases vacated by our strike planes and carried out operations from them. However that was not the case as the enemy was sending planes and strikes to our CVs. Since our strike planes were done for the night the fighters could continue CAP ops. I'm not sure why the fighters left and flew to the land bases as I clearly remember Darryl telling them to stay over the CVs.

I have always looked at this as an ordinance and fueling issue. Too many planes take up too many supplies and therefore must be rationed. As long as the landing planes (en mass) do not resupply and take back off they can always land and park using nothing. This rule has been bent slightly by jabo allowing single airplanes to land and refuel at fully stepped bases but they cannot go back into battle until they ferry back to an airfield or CV that is not fully stepped so they can reload with ordinance.

Nothing was done wrong in our frame 5 movements. <S>

Colonel mt-dew
Commanding Officer
-=Night Stalkers=-
"If you see us, it's already too late"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:46 am 

Some of us pursued the Haze west towards the end of the frame. As the series was over, it was closer to land at the bases south.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 am 

jlordj wrote:
Some of us pursued the Haze west towards the end of the frame. As the series was over, it was closer to land at the bases south.

That makes total sense. <S>

Colonel mt-dew
Commanding Officer
-=Night Stalkers=-
"If you see us, it's already too late"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 am 

Damn lucky we were low on fuel. ;)

phenix
Stats Custodian
S6c

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]