Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 am 

Anything greater that 24fps will just give you a bigger file.

You'll only need more than 24 if you wanna make slow motion shots (48 if you wanna 1/2 speed and so on)

Sepua | 4th Fighter Group
MacBook Pro • Intel 2.66GHz i7 • 8GB DDR3 RAM • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB • OS 10.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23 am 

cc. more FPS = bigger data files

Ill have to invest in a SSL drive to record to and then try it out,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm 

Dobs - movies are usually 24-30 fps. I've always been told that the human eye can't benefit from frame rates above 30. Having played more games than I want to admit to, (and much to my wife's disapproval), I know that some games suck at 30fps, but seem fine at 45-45. I suspect that the consistency of the frame rate may actually be more important than the average frame rate, but I'd have nothing to substantiate that claim. Back to the question of why 50? The real answer is because I started with a setting of 30 fps hoping to at least get that. The system had no problem what so ever! Curiosity got the better of me and I thought I'd try 50 to see if it would affect the performance while flying. It didn't, and I never bothered to change back to 30.

I do know that there is a significant increase in file sizes created, but haven't really had a storage problem so I haven't worried about it too much. I will play with Action settings and try to do some side by side testing to see if I can actually tell a difference from something shot with 30 vs 50. When uploading to Youtube, I think that Youtube actually winds up putting a cap on fps in an effort to make the end product more consistent. Again... not sure about that, but I do know that they try to stabilize movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm 

That answers the question...I did the same but set it to 60fps. But after seeing the size of the files (and since I dump them to youtube and the subsequent upload time is much longer), I went back to 30:)

Let me know if you have some video's you want me to put on the Warbirds FB page....I'm sure people are getting tired of mine:)

Dobs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm 

Are those internal SSDs installed as slave drives?
Whats a decent capacity and data transfer rate to get?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 pm 

I have two...one is my boot drive/master drive. The other is a data drive...both 240GB. Have regular harddrives for other mundane stuff:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am 

FYI - Action! does NOT work on Windows XP. Yes, still running XP because I have an old, game port joystick, and unfortunately Microsoft stopped support of game port devices starting with Vista. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:29 am 

Most people see 60 F/S as flutter less motion. The 60Hz refresh on older CRT monitors bothered some people after prolonged use. Thank the Lord for LED displays. :)

Standard frame rate for a movie is 24 F/S with a shutter flashing each frame twice giving the appearance of 48 F/S. If you sit up close to a big movie screen is planes whizzing by you notice the objects jumping from one frame to the next. US TV is an interlaced 30 F/S due to the commercial power being 60Hz thus reducing the power supply filtering required. The interlacing of the lines on a CRT set gives an appearance of 60 F/S.

There is higher frame rate movies like the Hobbit done at 48 F/S.

Read this article. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/128113-why-movies-are-moving-from-24-to-48-fps

I find it hilarious what some people critics complain about.

Last edited by OhShix on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:32 am 

So you are saying I should record at 60fps?

Man thats some long uploads to youtube.. Even with 8mb up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:37 am 

No. 30 F/S is sufficient and a decent compromise to file size. I am just offering information on the subject.

I enjoy watching and learning from your clips. :)

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next