Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Collision model
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 am 

The collision model is totally useless bull shit. It adds nothing to the game and there are
certain players that use it to their advantage to game the game. In this last S3 frame
more then 50% of the aircraft lost were lost due to collisions. What fun is that? I want
a game where I can fight against the opposite side not get run into and have me die
and the rammer flys away untouched. i don't see a reason to play in this game if this
continues. I have better things to spend my time, money and energy on.

Fencer

Post subject: Re: Collision model
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 pm 

I lost an airframe in a collision. From my POV, I was not close enough to have a collision. I understand latency issues, but I think my FE should take preference if I'm the one getting damage. I would actually like to see both aircraft damaged.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:55 am 

I believe I am always on the short end of the collision stick. How does one take advantage of it.

Slow connection speed or fast? If it was better understood maybe I could avoid it other that pulling of at D2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:29 pm 

Lag or jitter is more than likely the problem and I doubt anything can be done about it. Maybe it's multiplied by the smoothing software.

"Let’s say you usually get around 45ms latency to the Counter-Strike server you’re playing on. You might get spikes to 90ms, or worse, 250ms, before it drops back down. Although as low a latency as possible is what is greatly preferred, you tend to automatically adjust to the latency you frequently play with, so you line up your shots, or time your ultimates, based on on your expected latency. Jitter makes this natural adaptation almost useless as the change in latency throws off your timing.

Tip #1: Buy a Powerful Router
Even though it’s hard to know exactly how a router will handle jitter, it’s important to make sure you do your due diligence when purchasing a router. Check the reviews and see if there are any complaints from other owners about networking issues. Make sure that the bandwidth capacity is high enough to handle the traffic your household produces.
There are plenty of low-quality routers out there, particularly ones packaged with home internet service plans, so make sure to do extra research before committing to a shoddy router.

Tip #2: Use an Ethernet Cable
Wireless connections are convenient for normal everyday use but woefully inadequate for online gaming. Interference can come from a myriad of sources, many of which are totally out of your control. This can lead to higher latency, packet loss, and jitter. You will consistently have a better overall experience connecting directly to your router. Even if your home PC is in a separate room from your router, it’s always advantageous to connect with an ethernet cable.

Tip #3: Use High-Speed Internet
Lower connection speeds have been shown to increase jitter when sharing bandwidth with other people . While fiber connections are often the most ideal, even just upgrading to more bandwidth or changing network providers can be the difference between jitter and no jitter in your gameplay.

Tip #4: Eliminate Jitter with Haste
Haste uses custom network infrastructure, multiple data paths and private fiber optic links to lower latency, provide network stability and eliminate jitter. Using custom protocols and proprietary route optimization algorithms, Haste routes from your PC to the game server along the fastest, most stable routes available."

https://haste.net/2017/08/23/what-is-jitter/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm 

Rather then spending money that a person may or may not have, eliminate the collision model totally.
It's my understanding that it's a setting like kill shooter: it's on or off. Since it is out of control and can
never be controlled, get rid of it. That is a simple easy solution and will only add the enjoyment of the
game. Since the original idea was that the collision model would reduce the number of HO attacks, it's
very obvious that it's not working. Now there are players that use it to their advantage to gain an unfair
edge over other players. Level the playing field and players will try to find another way to attack.

Fencer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hopefully in the next version of WBs they will have reduced the damage hit box size, made bullets their actual size, reduce the collision envelope and improved the network prediction\smoothing algorithm. The last one is egregious for sure. Remember all the pain attacking freighters and hitting the mast even though you were 100s of feet away?

Another thing that will help reduce HOs is an overall game improvement in visual representation of aircraft. Aircraft would be easier to spot and target planform and harder to spot tail on or head on. The higher resolution graphics should allow detection and avoidance easier without heavy use of icons allowing the reduction in icon range and their ability to influence firing solution estimates. HO gun solutions were notoriously hard to estimate and hit with especially true regarding 12 on 12 chicken attacks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 pm 

Removed collisions in DOA some years back when we had a big influx of players from the Flyboys movie. Everyone was colliding of course ( newby's) HOWEVER, things really weren't better as EVERYONE just started flying right thru everyone else. Nice flying just got replaced with bore right thru em….a case where the cure was actually worse than the disease.
I did see lots of collisons on the bombers last BOB series. We were using a high number of drones also, which may not have helped with all the lag. Makes me wonderif a lower number of drones may ease that a bit, but, with low numbers and a high realism amount of damage that needs doing, more drones makes sense. It DOES help with survivability of bomber pilots which is a plus since most of them are gone now.
The early war setup didn't help matters any as the gun platforms are somewhat weak in regards to downing bombers causing pilots to press home their attacks closer than usual.
Based on past experience don't think I can recommend removal of the collision model.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:20 pm 

Why cant it be adjusted?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:26 am 

just take the s3 events back to 1 live per frame.... they know they have 3 live so bring the legacy map bull crap to the events... should we star calling out
the players to use the rammer,fragger to see theres a little shame on them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 am 

IMHO the DOA isn't a very good indicator of WBs. As you said an influx of "new players" came in.
The unskilled new players are not the type of player we have in the S3s. These are experienced
WBs pilots who know about something air to air tactics. Again and again collisions happen no matter
what the players try to do. Even if these are deliberate on some players part or just because of
lag, warping or other uncontrollable events, the end result is players are being unfairly punished for
something they shouldn't be held accountable for. It's hard to press home an attack, no matter
what kind of plane or guns you have if you have to worry about a collision, even at long range.
It only takes one tenth of an inch difference to miss or hit another plane and WBs programing isn't
good to see that kind of difference. Turn off the collision model and see what happens. At least try
to do something new, it be a surprise to everyone. WBs isn't as popular as it once was so maybe
trying new might attract new players. IMHO it can't hurt.

Fencer

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next