Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 pm 

Well the plan worked great as far as closing the allies only land based airfield. The Kamikazes provided a distraction to the enemy as we went in and had enough time to close the field. Unfortunately the enemy should up in time to chase us down with their faster aircraft as we were RTB.

Mission 2 did not go as well. There were swarms of enemy aircraft over their fleet. Having to dive down low enough to dive bomb gave the enemy an advantage as we had to slow down to keep from over speeding in our dive.

We should have come in high with more Bettys and bombed the ships from alt. I did that on my last sortie and it worked effectively. I put my ai in trail at 300. Then I lined my self up head on into the ships and dropped a ship length or two ahead of the ship. With 12 250kg bombs dropping in line, I was able to get a couple of hits and sink a transport. Our fighters fought valiantly to protect my Betty from enemy retribution...but in the end they got me.

I dont think the allies closed any axis airfields which was their mission objective, but they did kill many of our fighters. I know we got at least 2 troop freighters... so I guess we will see how we did when the points are tallied.

Salute.

NOOKYB 4th FG
4th But First!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:50 pm 

Yes, was a good plan, which usually go south after the first engagement. ;)
23rd was on station in the area around their fleet all night. Since their fighters didn't have to go to any kind of altitude to engage our Kami's we were stuck with essentially harassing any fighters that tended to grab over 15-20k, or loners/pair far from the cv's. grmpy took a Betty his last sortie and we covered his ingress/egress.
Twas fun, but it is a shame we couldn't get down lower and protect our Kami's without becoming a kami ourselves.
I didn't see that you were inb with a Betty or I'd found you earlier...still got deak who was target fixated! Thanks for the shooting opportunity! Sorry that you got finished off though.

<S>

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 2 posts ]