View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Flight model questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 pm 

Salute!

Make no mistake. We dweebs appreciate all the folks that have been working on the FM's.

I have noticed some things lately and did only cursory flight tests online and offline and even in the S3 arena when it is up.

- We have ARI !!!! Aileron-rudder-interconnect. YGBSM. So I can trim before rolling, but then I get extra rudder if I make a roll correction/input.

- The trim is moving the ailerons and rudder the opposite direction of your normal yoke/stick inputs. No kidding. In fact, inflight with a "otto trimmed" plane and then disconnecting, a left roll trim using the appropriate key results in a right roll. Same thing with rudder trim.

You can go to outside view and see this.

- So I go to MA online to see if there's a difference in trim or ARI. Nope. However, doggone torque and p-factor was not close to the offline "realistic" mode. This ain't right.

Therefore, ol' Gums asks some of you to first look at the ailerons and rudder and verify the ARI feature. And secondly look at the ailerons and rudder when applying trim. I was taught to move the stick and look for "right stick, right aileron up, and then left stick and left aileron up". In planes I flew with ARI I would either look or ask the crewchief if the rudder moved appropriately. Finally, put in roll trim "hands off" and see if the sucker rolls the oopposire direction.

Just some thing to do until last frame of the S3.

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:18 pm 

Opposite aileron trim has been a long time problem with warbirds. It's not an FM thing. For whatever reason no one in iEN has bothered switching the labels yet. You have to go in the input mapper and be like Will Smith in Independence Day- map left to your preferred right input and vice verse.

<S>
Zinhwk

HADES Flight
475th FG (v)
zinhwk@fly-jg77.com

Windows 10.1
AMD A10 6800K Black Edition (OC 4.2Ghz)
16 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 770Ti
1TB SATA Western Digital "Blue" HDD
24" LG LED 1080p
CH Controls

Last edited by zinhwk on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:26 pm 

I have never used aileron trim in 8 years
But have heard the "back to front" issue mentioned before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:00 pm 

Salute!

@ ZIN: Yeah, I had the habit of assigning right trim to "L" key using the screen text because default has been "J" for tright trim. So my theory is the text doesn't agree with the actual implementation. I'll reset back where the text says "left trim" is letter "L" and I'll get desired "right" trim, and vice versa.

Secondly, I noticed the yoke/stick deflects opposite the trim inputs when sitting on rwy and testing. Anyone else see this? My experience was trim was used to relieve control pressure or displacement. On the mechanical flight controls the actual stick or yoke moved, whereas on the hydraulic and FBW systems the stick remained in "neutral" postion or zero pressure like my Viper did.

@ Bolls: Sheesh. Think about holding a few pounds of stick pressure for 2 or 3 hours. Then think about crossing the ocean an holding that for 12 hours.

Gums sends...

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]