Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Windows 10 Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:04 pm 

An old Air Force buddy sent me a copy of this and I thought I would share. Not sure how valid it is but I've heard that you can upgrade if you have OS of 7 or 8.
However, I remember Vista and have no intention of downloading 10 until I've read more info. For our PC Guru's, or anyone that has upgraded, could you comment on this subject.
Salute

[quoteubject: Windows 10 Warning

For everyone who has received the notice from Microsoft that they qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 I urge you to think this upgrade through and proceed at your own peril.
I personally think this is a welcomed upgrade from Windows 8; to say the least. But not Windows 7 which is, in my opinion, Microsoft’s best operating system to date.
This update will NOT, I repeat, NOT go smoothly for everyone. (Here’s an example: On one of my computers, which qualified for the upgrade, the Windows 10 nag window informed me that all of the hardware in my unit qualified and was compatible for the upgrade. NOT TRUE. When it came time to upgrade another windows popped up and notified me that I was going to have to purchase a new video and audio card if I wanted to upgrade. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS LED TO BELIEVE. 99 percent of my customers cannot perform this task, so they’ll bring their computer to me for the upgrade of hardware. They could expect, as an example, paying $85 for the video card and $45 for the appropriate audio card, excluding labor. Therefore, consider this upgrade wisely.)
Additionally, regardless of what Microsoft has led you to believe not ALL of your programs will work once the upgrade is complete.
And, in many instances, as an example, VIPRE will have to be removed BEFORE the upgrade can continue. Most of my customers can barely manage Windows 7 as it is, but once VIPRE, again as an example, is removed I can hear it now “how am I supposed to put get it back?”
Reinstall it.
How?
Put in your disk or go to the VIPRE website.
How do I do that?
Oh, and be sure you saved the VIPRE key, because Windows 10 will perform a clean wipe of VIPRE and the key will disappear from your computer.
Where’s my key?
The same place it was the last time you upgraded your subscription for another year.
Where is that?
What version are you running?
I dunno.
(And so it will go, not only with VIPRE, but with other programs as well, I suspect.)
Also, if you’re like me and multitask (smile) like I do at my home computer I’m able to use my Windows Media Center tuner card to watch the news ON my monitor while I’m working. With Windows 10 you can forget it. They dropped Windows Media Center. (They didn’t mention that little tidbit of info when you clicked on I WANT MY FREE COPY OF WINDOWS 10, NOW!)
Do not think for a minute there won’t be a learning phase. Windows 8.1 users will actually find the switch quite a bit easier, because Windows 10 looks more like 8.1 than Windows 7, to be sure.
Personally, I like the looks and feel of Windows 10. But I don’t mind spending time learning anything that’s new. But, again, most people want everything done for them. Therefore, this upgrade will be a challenge so you better plan ahead and purchase a book on Windows 10 for Dummies or the like.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to sit at the front counter all day and assist those that have upgraded to Windows 10. And I won’t be able to answer any questions about all the problems you’re having with Windows 10, because I didn’t put it on your machine. Please remember, customers who bring their computers in for repair want their machines back as quickly as possible and I don’t blame them. Taking another couple hours out of my repair schedule every day is not fair to them.
I will have a fully functional copy of Windows 10 running in the lobby of my store, effective Wednesday, August 5th. You can stop by when you get a chance and look at the “real deal” BEFORE you upgrade.
I probably should add that once you upgrade to Windows 10 you’re not (easily) going back to Windows 7. Microsoft did not provide an uninstall routine. I can, however, wipe a machine clean and rebuild it with Windows 7, but that’ll cost at least $150 and will necessitate you’re having to reinstall all your programs, etc.
Be careful out there.
Don
Owner, DJs Computers, LLC
I SHOULD ADD THAT “IF” YOUR COMPUTER IS SCREWED UP, RUNNING SLOW, ETC., UPGRADING YOUR MACHINE WILL NOT MAGICALLY MAKE IT BETTER. THAT’S WHY IT’S ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED ON A “CLEAN MACHINE.”][/quote]

Salute,
Gofly
AG-8-Doolittle Raiders
Member, Nomads
WBs 2004

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:04 pm 

Thanks for the info. I have no intention to upgrade to 10. 7 does everything I need it to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lt Col Kelly "Screaming Alpha"
Virtual 4th Fighter Group

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:50 pm 

On 10 from 8.1 (which I had configured to look like 7). Nice OS, stable, and configurable.

No issues to date...laptop and 2 x desktop (mine and my sons).

Dazed is an IT guy and had been evaluating for a customer upgrader and I went off his recommendation.

Install is a 3GB download and takes about an hour start to finish.

But for those who have a perfectly operating system, and don't need familiarity with a new OS for work purposes, Kelly hit the nail on the head.

Dobs

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ]