Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 2 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 pm 

All,
With our dwindled numbers the traditional S3 format is no longer sustainable. As such, the format will be morphed into an "S3 Lite". Series may have fewer frames, with players switching countries between frames (as directed in the game rules) to get a perspective on the challenges of "the other side".

For the moment, the series will still be run on Sunday nights starting at 2030hrs EDT/EST (GMT -4/-5). At the time of writing I received only five responses to my poll to consider a switch to a Sunday afternoon time slot. Only one person supported changing the time.

Scenario/frame set-ups will be published on the S3 and iEN boards with each side having broad objectives. Players are still expected to read the game rules prior to flying in a scenario. Detailed scoring will not be generated. It is time intensive for me to extract all the data from the logs and Phenix's S6 site is down on an extended (perhaps indefinite) maintenance cycle. I will still be reviewing the game log to confirm which side met the victory conditions and whether any individuals have violated the game rules and not immediately tried to correct their error.

Arena set-up. Fields not in play will be greyed out (set neutral and will fire at all players). Prior to frame start I will endeavor to provide a planning map (posted on the S3 board) and an annotated inflight map (link to be provided on the S3 site). Using the inflight map should make a player's gaming experience more enjoyable.
When possible, the bomber-login option will be made available.

Aircraft availability. As per the standard S3, there will be limited aircraft types available, and some types may be restricted to specific fields. Players using the bomber login must only have one type of aircraft in their formation. Unless specifically mentioned in the rules, players will not be able to operate GVs or ships. While the game engine does not allow a CM to restrict the weapon loadouts available to an aircraft type, the game rules may prohibit some configurations. Players are on their honour to abide by these rules. If the CM becomes aware of a player deliberately violating these rules the player may be subject to immediate ejection and ban from the S3 arena.

Side assignments for formed squads will be identified in the frame set-up and/or as a function of a squad volunteering to fly on one side or the other. "Loan wolves" or other groups who wish to play will be assigned a side either after they identify themselves prior to a frame or directed to a side after frame start (the former is preferred as it makes my life easier). At frame start, individuals or squads may be required to switch countries for side balancing.

Player lives. Each player will continue to be limited to three "lives" in each frame. There may be exceptions identified in the rules for a specific scenario. Loss of a "life" occurs upon PK, bail (whether or not captured), crash, ditch, or DISCO with damage. For simplicities sake, players who land/slide to a stop successfully (no kill or ditch message is the text buffer) at any friendly field type are not considered to have lost a life. Teleporting between fields is strongly discouraged. If a player lands at a field they should launch from that field using whatever aircraft type is enable there, e.g. a B-25 pilot landing a field with only Spitfires available should fly a Spitfire from that field on their next sortie (either as a fighter or a mode of transport to a bomber field). If no aircraft are enabled at a field, players may teleport as needed. Deliberately landing at a non-airfield and teleporting to quickly re-launch is "not on".

Players wishing to use voice comms are invited to use the WarBirds iEN DISCORD server. I will be asking WB to set up S3 Allied and Axis channels to allow players not using a squad specific channel to coordinate their activities.

The Axis and Allies planning forums on the S3 site will not be password protected unless requested by one of the participating Squadron COs. If a password is requested, it will be the responsibility of the requesting CO to promulgate the password to all participants on their side of the battle.

The dates for upcoming S3s will be subject to my availability, unless someone else is able to "step into the breech".
First series for this season will use an August 1940 Battle of Britain set-up. Details will be posted separately.
Frame 1 to occur on Sunday 2 Oct at 2030hrs EDT (3 Oct 0030hrs GMT).
Please log in early.

There will be no frame on Sunday 9 Oct as I will be celebrating the Canadian Thanksgiving with my family.

Feedback on the above CONOPS is encouraged and welcome. The S3 staff reserve the right to modify the rules/CONOPS at any time as they see fit.

I hope to see you in the unfriendly skies.

Muzz
muzz--
Sqn Ldr
past-CO 417 Sqn RCAF
"Supporting Liberty and Justice"
--------------------------------------
Muzz's Maps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:02 pm 

--

Muzz, thank you for the sandbox and all your hard work

Juice

352nd Fighter Group C.O. (V) - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"