Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 am 

Janitors would appreciate some feedback. Axis numbers dropped off pretty quickly and I would like to understand what lead that to happening.
Thanks guys,

Muzz
muzz--
Sqn Ldr
past-CO 417 Sqn RCAF
"Supporting Liberty and Justice"
--------------------------------------
Muzz's Maps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 pm 

The AI kamikazes were worthless by not attacking anything; protecting them served no purpose. IJN planes inflict very little damage to F4F’s who wisely dove out and into their protective AAA. Field 17 AAA was worthless in protecting IJN planes.

JG-51 used up our 3 lives rather quickly and left. Not in a huff, we just left. We had fun but it was over quickly.

<S>

Nick

"Tod von Oben"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:48 pm 

-tmoa-,
Thanks for the feedback. Your perceptions on the effectiveness of the Kamis did not reflect reality. Nine Allied DDs were sunk, and based on what I observed in the buffer last night (I don't have the log yet), 8 of them were sunk by the Kamis. That being said, we will endeavor to provide the Axis with more information on planned kami routes and timings so they can be integrated into your overall plan.

<S>

Muzz
muzz--
Sqn Ldr
past-CO 417 Sqn RCAF
"Supporting Liberty and Justice"
--------------------------------------
Muzz's Maps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:36 pm 

--
I am commenting with things that will hurt my own side.........

1. Kamikazes effective as a distraction that MUST be dealt with, also having chased 10+ they can/do/will hit ships effectively. If possible the routine needs be not just 1 but 2 or 3 (ingress) , meaning, if possible they come from different directions nearly every time.
This would be very difficult and frustrating to deal with as we attempt to achieve frame goals with this constant issue of Kamikazes. Also have them come in at higher than 15k ft.

2. The enemy needs to be able to be closer to us, they have to fly too far to engage and react effectively or to defend their own. Conversely the allies need to be farther away to get to goal targets.
We are the invaders so we need be distant (would argue that we are but another 10 miles would make it much worse).

3. Eliminate or shorted DAR for the allied side for the series. (yes as I said this makes if very bad for allies)

4. Teaching comment: Japanese aircraft do not take kindly to high speeds or distant shots. When you engage/become engaged know that you are here and not leaving. SLOW DOWN, you cannot turn well above 200mph AT ALL.
DO NOT dive out, you are going nowhere. Can you escape by speed .....yes, BUT you must set up the aircraft and have an angle and a plan. True escape is up....... not down, take your time, you are not running, and couldn't if you tried with out a plan.
Zeke guns (particularly the -5) are very adequate if not more than adequate. The tail of the F4F/FM-2 is very vulnerable, DONT fire cannon outside of D2(D1 is my rule). I am having to use 30% ammo on the average axis including AI, I am used to 10 to 12%.

5. Numbers were almost even AND dozens of AI coming. Pick your spots and get a feel. Shadow the AI's and then pounce on ammo less fighters etc. Feel your way first frame and see where you can frustrate, confuse, hide in the AI then pounce, OVERCOME.

Suggestions

Juice

352nd Fighter Group C.O. (V) - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"
487th Fighter Squadron (V)-HO
486th Fighter Squadron (V)-PZ
328th Fighter Squadron (V)-PE
We have the whips - KILL THEM ALL

Last edited by Juice= on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:01 pm 

<S> Muzz,

This is not a rip on any of the game set up, just what we experienced.
We really appreciate the hard work you guys put in.

We rolled at T+0, flew directly toward the fleet, and weren't able to RV with the first wave of Kamis for cover because they got to the fleet 10 minutes before we could. It may have been helpful in the orders to know where they would be exactly, and what alt in order to cover them.
We eventually found a group to cover on our second hop.

We lost a few guys on our first run to mid-air explosions above ships.
We took bombs to try and hit the fleet, but in doing so lost a few of us after dropping our ord.
Not sure why we exploded. Some may have hit the crazy mast collision bubble, but some were well above when we exploded.
No pings heard.

Like TMOA I found Zeke ammo non-effective. Hammered 2 f4s at D1 - D2 with 20mm. Don't think I did any damage.

My second death was due to a collision, my third I was shot down in a fur ball by f4 very quickly.

By just after half point of S3 we only had 2 guys left with a life. They got a little discouraged and logged.

This may help with some explanation of why there were none of us at the end of the frame.

Again, thanks for all the effort.

Swanee

Swanee
----------------------------------------
There are 2 kinds of people in this world...
Fighter pilots – and those that wish they were.

Last edited by swanee on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:20 am 

23rd set out to join a kami formation, which proved impossible to do with the first wave as they arrived before we could. Seeing the first defenseless wave falling one by one was quite disheartening to start a frame with and kinda set the 'mood' for the frame it seems. Our intelligence officers need shot! We should know flight paths, alt, etc.
Having good kami intel is essential, even if we disregard them and follow other objectives.
There are things we can do to probably help our situation, true.

fwiw, I got a fuel leak at some point and luckily made it to a transport base. Yes I did get away. Then flew a transport back to nearest fighter base. Then fly way back to get in the action. This took me around 25+minutes. I know we don't want folks to die then relaunch and be back in the action in 5 mins. I don't know the answer, but 25 mins round trip is a bit too long I think.
We'll see what the next setup is and plan accordingly.
<S>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:15 pm 

Seems when we have had A6M and F4F match ups in S3 series the F4F some how comes out on top.

In theory the A6M is the superior aircraft; better turn rate, faster, better climb, better guns. But in the arena in squad vs squad play the F4F tends to fair a little better. The big issue with the Zero, as Juice pointed out, is you have to get it in it's optimal speed envelop and close to be effective. At faster speeds you can't maneuver. Once you slow down you are committed win or lose.

The F4F has .50s that are better suited for shooting and doing damage at longer distances (D3-4). With that said, all things equal in a 1 vs 1 engagement, a decent A6M pilot will win out over a decent F4F pilot. In a Mele, the Wildcat seems to do better. At least that has been my observation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 pm 

A big thanks for the info Juice; will try to implement it. It becomes very discouraging when things don't seem to work( guns, performance of aircraft etc). I'm over it now but Sunday was no fun if you know your next flight you're just going to get shot down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:45 pm 

--
Mr Rock
I truly want it to be a help.
Anyone can come into the training arena (Thursday 8:00pm CST) and ask anything they wish and I will give you my best understanding.
We are here to have fun and kill each other........

There is always something that can be done..........

(S)

Juice

352nd Fighter Group C.O. (V) - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"
487th Fighter Squadron (V)-HO
486th Fighter Squadron (V)-PZ
328th Fighter Squadron (V)-PE
We have the whips - KILL THEM ALL

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ]