Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:51 pm 

<S>
Here is a short comparison between the fighters of the upcoming S3 #114, Operation Sea Lion (Battle of Britain 1940).

Axis Fighters

Bf 109E-4 and Bf 109E-3
The E-4 and E-3 are very similar, the only difference being the E-4 has better cannons. Do note that the elevator quickly becomes heavy with increasing airspeed, so use the "K" key to trim the elevator up for pulling out of a steep dive. The Messerschmitts are otherwise very maneuverable fighters thanks to their leading edge slats, and can scissor fight on equal terms with the Spitfire. The Bf 109E can turn with the Spitfire for a single lap, but any sustained turn fighting should be avoided against the Spitfire, and especially against the Hurricane, or they will soon be on your six if the pilot skill is fairly even. The Bf 109E-4 & E-3 have a performance advantage above 20 000 ft against the Allied fighters though and do not suffer from engine cutout when under negative G's.

Bf 109E-1
Quite similar to the E-4 but with a slightly weaker engine. The armament is also weaker with two 7.92 mm MG's in the wings instead of two cannons.

Bf 110C-4
Not a bad plane when flown in wingpair for mutual cover, as the Bf 110 can take more punishment than a Bf 109 and has lots of ammunition. It is however inferior speed wise and can neither roll or turn with the Allied planes in a duel. It can carry a surprisingly heavy ordnance for fighter/bomber missions.

Allied Fighters

Spitfire I
A very potent fighter that combines a high top speed as well as superior handling and a good roll rate. Holds a distinct performance advantage against the Messerchmitts between 7000-13000 ft thanks to it's engine's power output at these altitudes. The engine will cutout when pushing negative G's.

Hurricane I
The Hurricane is not as fast as the Spitfire, but can instead turn better thanks to it's thick wings. It is the best turn fighter of the series and should be seen right on par with the other fighters in a fight. The stall behaviour is a bit sharper than for the Spitfire, so don't overpull the joystick close to the ground. The Hurricane I uses the same Merlin III engine as the Spitfire I.

Spitfire and Hurricane Ia *87 octane
The 87 octane versions of the Allied fighters are in every respect the same planes as the normal Mk.I versions, except that they cannot use the Bst2 WEP (Bst 2 is usable up to 16 000 ft for the normal Spit/Hurri).

<S>
/Robert

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ]