Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 am 

WE NEED YOU!

For many of us our youth was filled with visual reminders of WWII. We not only had the memoirs of great leaders and heros, but for some our Uncles, Aunts and other relatives fought and sacrificed to preserve the freedoms that allow us to participate in Warbirds. To those who answered the call of their country, WE NEED YOU!, either over a doorway or on a poster was the siren song to enlistment.

Now that call must again go out here in Warbirds. We already have our leadership team in place for the season but we have needs in two places:

1. We need officers to act as COs in the open spots that still exist in some of the frames.
    2. We need officers to act as 'jabos' for the coming frames.

While most have basic understanding of the demands for #1, # 2 may seem daunting based on the fact that dot command proficiency is required. However, it is really more a matter of following a plan and being instructed how to implement the dot commands in proper order. I 'jaboed' my first S3 frame last night and created a check sheet that I followed to guide my actions.* I will be honest I am not Jabo and don't plan to be. I love flying the S3s too much to let that happen. I will jabo Frame 2 but want to fly as many of the next ones as possible. I will serve as your instructor and mentor to help you learn and succeed.

More can be said in person so I will leave this for you to consider.

Just remember if other pilots had not stepped up like Nooky, Robert, Beaver, Darryl, Sleepy, Wild Bill, and others we might have lost the S3 for good. Also remember Jabo gave up almost two decades of his life for us to have the S3. Is one or two frames a year too much to ask from us. I promise you that you will learn a lot about Warbirds, good and bad, but you will be more understanding and appreciative of what it takes to be a member of the Warbirds family.

So... WE NEED YOU TO SERVE YOUR WARBIRDS SQUADSELECTSERIES!

* if you think last night went relatively smooth, you most likely did not hear about Sleepy saving the bacon when we found our bombers had no wingmen as well as a couple of other issues that missed the first check sheet but are now include in check sheet . 2

Last edited by Muzz on Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed sticky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 pm 

I'd like to learn the ropes. I surely don't want give up flying, but I would hate to see the S3 go away. If I have to Jabo a frame here and there, I will. I am on a mac though....so hopefully it is not a PC only job.

NOOKYB 4th FG
4th But First!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 am 

Me too, see my other post!

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm 

What do I need to do? Hat is in the ring!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 pm 

I might be interested...

Need to get caught up again with side expectations before I can commit.

~S~

~S~
~Sakai - 坂井
daimyosakai@gmail.com
Tainan Kokutai - 台南

Akatombo | White 576 | Curtiss AVG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:12 pm 

This post is also in the Allied section which is probably not the best place, so it's here also....

I’ve said I am very willing to get involved with the organization of events in WarBirds (WB), I did in a small way years ago in the EMC’s as this suits my location far more. I hope to resurrect these mini events and perhaps garner greater interest from those not located in the USA.

I’ve had some information from VNSLP concerning the coding to be used in the events but not had the tutorial yet so I’m still very much on the periphery of these things and only scratching the surface regarding help.

As you already know, I’m part of the DR squad and for my sins, elevated to European Sector XO. The squad has its critics and dissenters, most comments seem to be generated out of envy rather than anything else but I’m not concerned with that, my objective is to help provide an interesting and for the most part, enjoyable experience for all virtual pilots (with perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions!), friend or foe.

I have spare time, not because of the virus enforced lockdown, I’m semi-retired so I can portion some hours to R&D of WB and in particular, the organized events. But… and it’s a big but, it doesn’t help me or engender any feelings of wanting to become involved when the lines of communication are fractured or non-existent. There appears to be a number of people who want to be involved, have been involved, want to become uninvolved or any combination of all three, working it seems, at odds with each other and those like me, offering help.

I don’t wish to be overly critical; I know only too well that all this is undertaken on a voluntary basis with no reward other than job satisfaction. (I have no idea if WB offers discounted or free accounts to those that help and if not, perhaps it should.)

To cut to the chase, I was more than willing to help plan and I still am, I was asked to be a “CO” for the event but my inexperience made me hesitate and decline as I didn’t want to be the cause of any blunders. So I asked for help and guidance and had some but not enough to leave me feeling confident enough to undertake the role other than leading a BG on the night. Small though it may be, designing, organizing and running an event is a daunting, thankless task that requires concentration and application. I remember the sweaty palms and elevated heart rate when running an EMC which is relatively simple by comparison.

I am here, willing and hopefully, able; teach me, tutor me, show me and I’ll throw my full weight behind it but I will not be involved in any part again unless I am included in the full information loop. I wasted a fair amount of time and effort that proved to be totally useless and that left me with a sour taste. If you want me to help, as I said, I am here but help me to help you, and don’t expect me to know everything right from the start.

I make no apology; this is a bit of a rant as I felt quite aggrieved about this especially as I had been asked to take a leading role. Imagine what might have happened had I not discovered the information given was completely incorrect and entered into the scenario only then to find it was garbage. But I’ve vented spleen and am now willing to draw a line under it in the expectation someone will take me under their wing and tutor me through the processes. I will make no improvement suggestions until such time as I know a little more about the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:18 am 

Good luck sir, hopefully you get the assistance required in a timely matter.

Hope to see you posting an event soon.

~S~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 am 

Thanks wilz although I hope luck won't play too big a part! No one's beaten a path to my door yet, however, it remains to be seen how this will pan out aand I remain ever hopeful.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ]