All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Flight Models
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Please submit any flight model questions or concerns.

Post subject: Re: Flight Models
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 pm 

just wondering about the relationship between actual flight models vs damage files. Are weapon damage files on a per server basis? And within the S3... do the weapons damage models change from one series to another?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:31 pm 

Salute!

So from Dazed:

Quote:
just wondering about the relationship between actual flight models vs damage files. Are weapon damage files on a per server basis? And within the S3... do the weapons damage models change from one series to another?

@ dazed

Truth is the flight models are the best guess of actual performance by a few folks, many of which we know. So far they have not listened a lot to folks with real world experience and take suggestions that might make the planes fly a bit easier, even if not "perfect". That's my story and I am stickin' to it. We have to think about game play, huh? but seems a few MPH here and a notch of flaps there and p-factor estimates and such rule.

Damage models are worked up by who knows? And I also don't think that the FM's take into account battle damage except for some biggies like loss of aileron/rudder/elevator/flaps/motor. And that works for me. Game play is enhanced, with no big impact on the amount of code or frame rate or....

Battle damage definitely changes between series and is not the same as the MA. "bufftuff" is one of the biggies that changes. Use the "show" dot command when online to get all the settings. You can do same in the MA after saving the first "txt" file you did in S3 arena. Then compare.

Until this past year, the FM's have not changed much between series but that seems to be times gone past. This latest series seems to have many FM changes, and they do not reflect the FM's of the Main Arena or the offline practice.

++++++++

BOTTOMLINE: We must have the S3 arena up 24/7 even if we have no more lives. This is necessary so we can get the settings loaded and then go offline to the same terrain and practice or flight test. Even better would be an alternate S3 arena that we could fly online with other players. Said arena would not change scores and such, but would allow accurate BDA and aircraft damage and weapon effects and so forth.

Gums ceases to whine for bit......

"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 pm 

Bufftuff should be 1.0 in all arenas..

Plane damage and weapons files are the same as the Main arena..

352nd Fighter Group (V) - "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"
328th Fighter Squadron C.O. (V) - PE - Red and Green

dulce bellum inexpertis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:36 pm 

Gums wrote:
Salute!

So from Dazed:

Quote:

@ dazed

Truth is the flight models are the best guess of actual performance by a few folks, many of which we know. So far they have not listened a lot to folks with real world experience and take suggestions that might make the planes fly a bit easier, even if not "perfect". That's my story and I am stickin' to it. We have to think about game play, huh? but seems a few MPH here and a notch of flaps there and p-factor estimates and such rule.

Damage models are worked up by who knows? And I also don't think that the FM's take into account battle damage except for some biggies like loss of aileron/rudder/elevator/flaps/motor. And that works for me. Game play is enhanced, with no big impact on the amount of code or frame rate or....

Battle damage definitely changes between series and is not the same as the MA. "bufftuff" is one of the biggies that changes. Use the "show" dot command when online to get all the settings. You can do same in the MA after saving the first "txt" file you did in S3 arena. Then compare.

Until this past year, the FM's have not changed much between series but that seems to be times gone past. This latest series seems to have many FM changes, and they do not reflect the FM's of the Main Arena or the offline practice.

++++++++

BOTTOMLINE: We must have the S3 arena up 24/7 even if we have no more lives. This is necessary so we can get the settings loaded and then go offline to the same terrain and practice or flight test. Even better would be an alternate S3 arena that we could fly online with other players. Said arena would not change scores and such, but would allow accurate BDA and aircraft damage and weapon effects and so forth.

Gums ceases to whine for bit......

I'll stack my 15,000 hours of real world experience including over 5,000 hours in WWII airplanes AND significant aerobatic experience up against anyone, anytime.

Plus I am CURRENTLY flying real airplanes, both new fangled jets and little prop driven bug smashers.

AND I have direct access to a air combat veteran.

AND he has direct access to an active duty USAF pilot flying a WWII fighter.

Get a bigger ruler.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 am 

Salute!

Well Dazed, there you have it.

We have heard from the experten, and anybody else can just cool it.

One thing, though:

Quote:
AND I have direct access to a air combat veteran.

AND he has direct access to an active duty USAF pilot flying a WWII fighter.

I don't need no steenkeeng contact with a WW2 combat vet or a friend that flew combat in Korea, 'nam, Balkans, Storm or lately. I taught many from 1968 until ...... Good grief, three tours and about 600 hours, 400 missions being shot and shot up and shot down once.

All those hours and missions don't count for squat. And ditto for Dawger's driving hours, and I can guarantee I have more time with positive and negative gee and inverted flight and supersonic and dodging AAA and SAM's and dropping real bombs 50 meters from grunts. So there!!!!

This is a sim for gameplay and not a full-vision flight sim here at Eglin for the F-35. If a few real world pilots whine about p-factor or torque or brakes or whatever, then we have to come to some agreement. We also have to think about the average player and whatever setup is used. Many do not have rudder pedals or force feedback sticks, so the visual cues are important.

I fully appreciate the FM folks trying to get things close to reality. OTOH, they have to allow for the weakest link in the chain of player computers. Further, I saw a post on the iEN forums that dissed Columbo, who prolly has more WW2 buff time than anybody we know. The same thread also had actual tech order numbers for trim and such.

Show me the aero pressures on the rudder and ailerons and such versus IAS with respect to their area and angle on incidence to the basic fuselage reference line and such. Then the moment arms for force generated from such control surfaces according to IAS. Otherwise, we just develop and field a model that "feels about right"., huh?

Gums continues to whine.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:09 am 

Roll em all back. Best thing for this crowd....give them the 2012 FMs they so desire.

Get a joystick yet gums?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:28 am 

Actually, was just wondering if the weapons damage model such as .50 cals / .303's /cannons etc, are the product of the FMT, or somebody else, and also wondered if those weapon damage files are static of if they are loaded on a per server/series/frame basis. My understanding is that flight model is comprised of airframe, engine, weapon models. The engine guy(s) may not do anything with airframe, weapons guy(s) don't do engines, etc.

I understand that buff tuff is a per series or per frame basis depending on how badly one side screams, just wondered about the weapons files/engine files.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 am 

Salute!

TNX, Dobs.

Maybe we should all take a deep beath an go back to see what needs to be changed.

The number of lite models and their capabilities is becoming a problem. A hundred models of every lite and not a dime's worth of difference in performance or whatever. I would suggest we keep all planes to 4 or 5 variants and allow small tweaks to ord and such, but not drastic changes to FM's unless a significant mod.

I vote for the old FM's for both S3 and the MA. Until we can fly the S3 settings online, then we are rolling the dice at Vegas. The latest iEnt arenas have different FM's and damage and ................... So we are screwed trying to bring a new pilot onboard or doing BDA or anything. The "practice arenas" are not like the S3 or even the MA. Gasp.

Gums whines.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:01 am 

I think Dawger needs to take a break and check that big fat ego in for a while.

I am not impressed with what he just said but have one hell of respect for Gums who has been there and done that.

His attitude is why people are being driven away from this game. He thinks he is all that and all knowing.

Capt Hawk
CO - The Knights Who Say Ni!

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12
 >> Next