S3#104 – Special Operations France - Spring 1944
Initial Format - changes after in bold italics.
1. Frame Timeline - pilots should report in at least 10 mins before T+0 to get organized and recieve any last minute order changes.
2. Pilot Lives - players flying fighters still have one life to live, those that choose to fly bombers\strike have two lives to live during a frame. Only those aircraft indicated on the A/C table qualify for the two lives. Ask the CM to reset you when you loose one of your lives operationally. A significant change in the S3s but hopefully will allow more fighter pilots fly fighter and give us more bomber\strike aircraft sorties each frame. Without bomber\strike pilots the S3s are just an old-fashioned squad duel.
3. Operational Restrictions - each side may only conduct operations in the area outlined in the game map. The Allied Frame CO must announce which operations area, North or South(indicated on the map) they will conduct spec op missions for the upcoming frame. One operations area must be attacked a total of 2 frames and the other 3. The German Frame CO is under no such restrictions and has a much more limited spec ops mission list.
4. Ord\Aircraft Restrictions - First line fighters(Spitfire IXE, Mustang I, FW190A4 and Bf109G6) may not carry ord. Second line fighters(Typhoon, Dh98VI and FW190F8) MUST carry ord in their mission profile and are allocated two lives as part of the strike force of each side. Bf109G6 and Bf109G6\R6 are interchangeble during the Frame.
5. Aircraft Minimum Fuel - all aircraft must take at least 100% internal fuel with or without drop tanks.
6. Squad Aircraft - each pilot may fly aircraft listed for their squad on the A/C table. Strike\Bomber aircraft are indicated and can have up to 2 lives during a frame.
7. Squad Basing - to begin play each squad must base at their own airfield. Afterwards squads may replane anywhere as needed.
8. Aircraft drones - every player that uses an eligible bomber a\c(B25D, B25J, Dh98IV) in a frame may take up to 3 wingman with their lead aircraft. This only applies to bombers and not those fighters(Typhoon, Dh98VI and FW190F8) classed as strike aircraft. Both bomber and strike pilots have 2 lives during a frame.
9. Improved FMs - new FMs are being developed from last year so it is best to test them out beforehand as they will handle differently than in 2016.
10. Bomber Hardness - bufftuff will be at 1.0 with moderate otto in this event. Bombers continue to be relatively easy to down, especially the AI variety. With two lives for bomber\strike pilots this should help alleviate this ongoing issue.
11. Special Operation Missions - the Allies may designate a maximum of 12 special operations missions per frame while the Germans may have a maximum of 3 per frame. All the Allied special operation missions must be in the designated Operations Area(North or South) for the frame. Only those designated for that frame may be attacked. Careful planning is required to make sure as many of the missions can be completed successfully. Some missions score more than others so this should be taken into account as well. Mission parameters and requirements are detailed in the Mission List. All missions allocated for a frame are then removed from the list for subsequent frames regardless of the results. They can only be planned as a target once. If you pick twelve targets you should make sure there is a good chance of getting all twelve otherwise you will loose any you dont attack for the series.
12. BDA - target locations destroyed and fields closed during play will remain so for the series.
13. Safe Ditch - if you run off the field and ditch within 10 miles(52800ft) of the tower the ditch is NOT awarded a kill. It is assumed that aircraft and pilot can be salvaged.
14. Ditch Forced Exit - you have 5 seconds to exit a ditched aircraft. This stops trying to outlast a kill message, drawing ack fire or passing along intel at a nearby field.
15. Penalty Planes - players that commit errors in basic rules and do not attempt to correct the error during play will have a penalty plane assigned to them to conduct a hair-raising mission behind enemy lines. If they survive they can teleport and replane in their regular ride. Examples of penalty plane errors include flying different a/c during a frame, teleporting fields when not allowed by special rules, gunning from ships or flak positions. If a player immediately addresses the error they will not be assigned a penalty plane but always inform the CM so the log entry will be ignored. It is up to each squad to make sure the penalty planes are flown.
16. Victory Points - points are awarded for e/a shot down, enemy pilot KIAs\POWs and general BDA on special ops missions. German points are weighted toward aircraft especially bomber kills. Relative points for objects is available in the summary for this event.
17. Victory Conditions - The side with the most VPs at the end of the series wins. BDA, ships sunk, GVs destroyed, planes shot down and pilot losses all score points.
S3 Clarifications - the S3 staff reserves the right to make a ruling on questions or game situations not answered completely or missed by the rules. For further clarification please post on the S3 forum or email Jabo.