S3#105 – A Bridge Too Far - Fall 1944
Initial Format - changes after in bold italics.
1. Frame Timeline - pilots should report in at least 10 mins before T+0 to get organized and receive any last minute order changes.
2. Pilot Lives - Pilots have three lives to live during a frame. Only those aircraft indicated for each squad on the A/C table qualify for the three lives. Ask the CM to reset you when you loose one of your lives non-operationally. Players may switch aircraft types during a frame but once they loose a life(aka bail, ditch or die) in an aircraft type they cannot use it again in that frame. This is pilot's honor. A significant change in the S3s but hopefully will allow more fighter pilots fly strike and give us more bomber\strike aircraft sorties each frame. Without bomber\strike pilots the S3s are just an old-fashioned squad duel.
3. Operational Restrictions - each side may only conduct operations in the area outlined in the game map. Each side will have a mission area on either side of the frontline. This area is where mission points will be scored. The front line and mission areas will change during the series as the Allied advance develops.
4. Ord\Aircraft Restrictions - Strike aircraft(Typhoon, P47D, Dh98VI and FW190F8) MUST carry ord in their mission profile other aircraft types can if they so choose so. You may dump ord if necessary and conduct regular operations but only as the situation warrants, do not dump ord on the runway just to fufill the requirement. Bf109K4 variants are interchangeable during the series.
5. Aircraft Minimum Fuel - all aircraft must take at least 50% internal fuel with or without drop tanks.
6. Squad Aircraft - each pilot may fly aircraft listed for their squad on the A/C table. Once you loose a life in 1 aircraft type you must switch to another.
7. Squad Basing - to begin play each squad must base at their own airfield. Afterwards squads may replane anywhere as needed.
8. Aircraft drones - every player that uses an eligible bomber a\c(B25D, B25J, Dh98IV) in a frame may take up to 3 wingman with their lead aircraft. This only applies to bombers and not those fighters(Typhoon, Dh98VI and FW190F8) classed as strike aircraft.
9. Improved FMs - new FMs are being developed from last year so it is best to test them out beforehand as they will handle differently than in 2016-17.
10. Bomber Hardness - bufftuff will be at 1.0 with effective otto in this event. Bomber hardness continues to be an issue and needs further testing.
11. Mission Area - each side will have an indicated mission area on either side of the front line. These are the only targets that can score mission points. For example destroying bridges outside the mission area will score you no mission points only individual points. Hitting bridges inside the mission area will score you both mission points and individual points.
12. BDA - all fields closed during play will remain so for the series. Note any field type in the ETO is hard to close due to multiple associated targets like industry. Some fields will need to be ruled closed by the CM during play. Please advise the CM to check if you think it should be down.
13. Safe Ditch - if you run off the field and ditch within 10 miles(52800ft) of the tower the ditch is NOT awarded a kill. It is assumed that aircraft and pilot can be salvaged.
14. Ditch Forced Exit - you have 5 seconds to exit a ditched aircraft. This stops trying to outlast a kill message, drawing ack fire or passing along intel at a nearby field.
15. Penalty Planes - players that commit errors in basic rules and do not attempt to correct the error during play will have a penalty plane assigned to them for the next frame. They must fly 3 lives in that aircraft type. Examples of penalty plane errors include teleporting fields when not allowed by special rules, gunning from ships or flak positions. If a player immediately addresses the error they will not be assigned a penalty plane but always inform the CM so the log entry will be ignored. It is up to each squad to make sure the penalty planes are flown.
16. Victory Points - points are awarded to each side in two categories, individual and mission. German points are weighted toward aircraft especially bomber kills. Allied points are weighted toward mission BDA. All points for each individual pilot on a side are tallied for each frame and mission points added to the total. Mission points include important targets like bridges and HQs and can only be scored in the indicated mission area. Individual points are based upon the award criteria and take into account aircraft losses, deaths and kills\BDA. Relative points for objects is available in the summary for this event.
17. Victory Conditions - The side with the most VPs at the end of the series wins.
S3 Clarifications - the S3 staff reserves the right to make a ruling on questions or game situations not answered completely or missed by the rules. For further clarification please post on the S3 forum or email Jabo.